Sunday 8 February 2009

The alleged Divinity of Jesus

The gospel of John opens with the passage “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word [Jesus?] was God”. The Nicene Creed states that Jesus Christ is the begotten Son of God, being of one substance with the Father. Did Jesus clearly declare anywhere in the gospels that he is the Son of God? In John 10:30 Jesus declares “I and my Father are one”. Does this imply that Jesus is the only begotten Son of God, or that each human being is also essentially one with the Father? Was Jesus a Divine Being with a human nature, or was he an example of how the Christ Consciousness could be manifested in each human being?

1 comment:

  1. Did Jesus deny his alleged divinity according to these passages in the gospels:

    "And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God."(Matt. 10:18)

    "...I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I."(John 14:28)

    "Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things."
    (John 8:28)

    ReplyDelete